Julian is a member of the Toronto-based punk band Avem. The band’s songs are focused on birds and explore human experiences from the perspective of these flying creatures.
Julian from the band Avem joins Muckspout to discuss their unique approach to punk music, which involves singing songs about birds and exploring human experiences from the perspective of these creatures. The band’s songs touch on deep and meaningful topics while maintaining an upbeat and energetic sound. Julian shares the inspiration behind their bird-themed songs and how they use the positivity of punk music to deliver intense messages without overwhelming the audience. He also discusses the challenges of finding dedicated musicians and the DIY recording process they used for their latest EP.
- Avem is a punk band that sings songs about birds and explores human experiences from the perspective of these creatures.
- The band’s songs touch on deep and meaningful topics while maintaining an upbeat and energetic sound.
- The positivity of punk music allows Avem to deliver intense messages without overwhelming the audience.
- The band faces challenges in finding dedicated musicians and has gone through multiple member changes.
- Avem uses a DIY recording process, which involves recording tracks separately and using electronic drums and guitar profiles.
- “Just because you came from a rotten egg doesn’t mean you have to be a shitty bird.” – Julian
- “Birds struggle every day just to get enough food to eat to survive.” – Julian
- “People could be really upset about a gruesome bird story, but then they look outside and see another bird and realize there’s hope.” – Julian
- “The most passionate group of people is twelve to early 20s because they haven’t been beaten down yet.” – Julian